Sunday, February 18, 2007

Peeping with the Fishes...

This Saturday, we headed downtown for the Chinese New Year festivities. We ate a late lunch (delicious, unexpected Dim Sum!) at the Regency Palace Restaurant upstairs in the Dragon City Mall.

For those of you that don't know the place, they have a big koi pond at the entrance to the restaurant. You have to cross a small bridge to actually get in to the dining room. This pond is filled with BIG koi. Beside the pond they have a food dispenser for these massive fish - likely part of the reason these sea monsters are as big as they are. After finishing my fantastic lunch I was feeding the fish with Freyja, and no sooner had I finished thinking "these are the grossest, wierdest, flappiest-mouthed fish I've ever seen" than *whack!* Freyja had wound up for a food drop to the neglected koi in the back, and as she released, suddenly I was blind. For a moment I thought "this is not happening, this is not happening..." until through the blurry orange and white shapes I saw a thin black shape resembling my glasses...

So I reached into the nasty, slimy pond, giant, slimy shapes bumping my arm in their bloated feeding frenzy and retrieved my grimed eyewear from the scummy layer at the bottom of a foot and a half of koi juice. Not a pleasant feeling, I can assure you. Followed by 10 minutes of obsessive scrubbing in the washroom under a motion-sensor hot water tap. Lather, rinse, repeat.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is a totally hilarious story! I could imagine the grossness of the whole event. I have somewhat of a Howard Hughes germ phobia and I would've left em. I would leave about anything in that situation I think.


EEEEEEWWWWW!

Anonymous said...

Tell me about it - I'm right there with the germ-phobia, only I usually have hand dispensers of alchohol sanitizer mounted every 5 feet along the wall (CHR policy). I was doing a surgical scrub in this washroom on the top floor of Dragon City...

Two Mittens said...

I think fish are fascinating...and revolting at the same time. I tried snorkeling once and it freaked me right out. And I don't want them TOUCHING ME. EVER.
That picture grosses me out!

Anonymous said...

I'm with two mittens, that picture sicks me out.

Daria - Boutique Cafe said...

Bjorn, I was laughing so hard at your retelling of this story. EWWWW!!

I'll never look at your glasses the same way again. Freyja is hilarious.
Daria

Anonymous said...

okay if that won't mak eyou an O.C.D. clean freak what will!!? So gross Bjorn! I feel for you. great picture though!!

Liz

Anonymous said...

Please, do not call those fish gross or weird, they can't help what they are born as, and even so, they're graceful and beautiful.
But this story is funny^^